Friday, January 20, 2017

Thuet Wedding Quilt



Since Valentine's Day is right around the corner I thought I would share a quilt I made last Spring (2016) for my niece's wedding using Sweetwater's "First Crush" fabric by Moda Fabrics. It's such a perfect fabric line for a wedding quilt and I knew I wanted to incorporate my niece's new last name into the quilt design. The pattern is my own, inspired by several quilts I saw on Pinterest (such as this and this and this.)





I used a Moda Layer Cake of First Crush fabric and purchased a little extra yardage for the lettering and hearts. I also added some red, black, cream and gray solids to tie it all together. 





For the appliqued last name and hearts I used the raw-edge applique technique for the first time. It was quick and easy and I love the extra texture the raw edges give to the quilt. It is definitely a technique I will use again.





To create the large last name letters I used the Calibri Bold font. The letters are 5" high. I typed them into a Word document, set lettering to "outline" and printed them on paper. Then I carefully cut the fabric using the paper letter templates. I used a glue stick to arrange the fabric letters on the background fabric and stitched as closely to the raw edges as possible. I appliqued the letters and the hearts to the background fabrics before any piecing or quilting was done. 







The backing is First Crush paisley in cream/gray, with a solid gray vertical strip added for 
interest.





 I absolutely LOVE the binding in First Crush cream/gray diagonal stripe!



  


 


 I quilted straight lines one inch apart over the entire quilt using my walking foot.



I love the way it turned out!



The finished quilt measures 54" x 68" and is a generous throw size. 
Finished with love: May 2016



No comments:

Post a Comment