Monday, November 28, 2016




 A Quilt for my Dad



This quilt was a labor of love, made from squares of fabric from some of my Dad's favorite shirts. My dad ALWAYS wears collared shirts with buttons, which are freshly ironed, for as long as I can remember back into my childhood. I honestly have NEVER seen him in a t-shirt or sweatshirt (except that one time my brother gave him a t-shirt as a joke). He is a well-dressed man. My dad is a creature of habit and has strong opinions... he knows what he likes. He also has a propensity towards blues and greens and plaids. I love my dad. AND I know I can't go wrong when it's time to buy him a gift. 


 This quilt was started more than 10 years ago. I had the squares cut from the shirts long before I pieced the top with white sashing. Then the quilt top sat unfinished for several more years. In the fall of 2014 I decided it was time to finish it up and give it to my dad for Christmas. I squared up the top, added the navy blue border and quilt and bound it, finishing it late on Christmas Eve. It was my favorite gift I gave that year. 





 I quilted this quilt with a pattern of diagonal crosshatch quilting. It was my first time trying this technique. I used blue painter's tape to mark the quilting lines and keep everything straight. I love the effect. This is also a special quilt to me because although I have a long history of making quilts throughout my life, this was the quilt that started my passion for quilt-making in earnest.


No comments:

Post a Comment